Home Ownership Program Overview
Habitat for Humanity of Summit & Wasatch Counties builds healthy, energy efficient, affordable homes for working members of our community. Our homes are intended to be modest in size and appearance and, at a minimum, will meet International Building Code standards.
Habitat’s path to homeownership is an in-depth process, requiring hard work, time and dedication. To ensure the long-term success of Habitat homeowners, we partner with them from application through construction, and beyond when the keys are handed over. We can help prospective individuals prepare for the various responsibilities of homeownership, including learning about personal finances, mortgages, home maintenance, and much more.
HOW IT WORKS:
Habitat evaluates all applicants based on three* principal criteria:
1) Need: Our potential home buyers have a need for better housing.
- Current housing is not affordable (greater than 35% of monthly income)
- Housing is too small for your needs
- Sharing your housing with another
- Current housing unsafe/ needs repairs
2) Ability to Pay: Habitat home buyers have:
- Stable, monthly income
- Full time employment in Summit County
- Acceptable credit
- Have income between 30% - 60% of the County Area Median Income?
3) Willingness to Partner with Habitat: Habitat Homeowners are not just engaged with Habitat while building a home, but throughout their entire home ownership.
- Willing to complete sweat equity to help build their home
- Willing and able to pay an affordable mortgage to cycle back into the community to help build additional Habitat homes
- Ready to invest in our community and take pride in a better future
- Willing to attend an information session and learn about Habitat home ownership
We are not accepting applications at this time. However, we anticipate a new application period to open in early 2020 for our on-going Silver Creek Village project. Check back shortly for updated information.
Wondering if Habitat is right for you?
Information sessions are the best way for you to begin the process of Habitat ownership. Sessions are approximately one hour long and will provide you with details about applying, qualifying and partnering with Habitat for a home.
HOMEOWNER INFORMATION SESSIONS:
Contact Homeowner Services at 435-658-1400 x 1007 or E-Mail Us
Applicants must consent to credit, background and reference checks and home site visits and other reasonable diligence by Habitat. Habitat does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religious affiliation, occupation or otherwise and is an equal opportunity housing provider.
*Any U.S. citizen or permanent resident who meets these criteria may be eligible to become a Habitat homeowner. Criteria imposed on a development plan by City or County government may play an additional role in qualifications.